To request catering, please contact:
Wayne State Catering
495 W. Gilmour Mall
Detroit, MI 48202
You may also call 313-577-2400 or visit wayne.edu/catering.
Food and Beverage Policy - Updated July 30th, 2019
The purpose of the Student Center Food Policy as outlined below is to provide opportunities for meetings and events with food that can be held safely, consistent with Public Health Department guidelines, and without undue potential for damage to Student Center space.
Wayne State Catering is the sole provider of food totaling $200 or more in Student Center managed spaces (including snacks).
Policies for food under $200
- Permitted foods
- Non-perishable snacks including chips, candy, soft drinks, donuts, cookies, cupcakes and sheet cakes.
- Pre-packaged, store purchased cheese trays, vegetable trays, fruit trays, individually packaged salsa and individually packaged hummus.
- Pizza is permitted but must be served with serving utensils (e.g. spatula) and gloves. Pizza must be served immediately upon delivery to the room.
- Under $200 worth of food purchased from only the following local campus vendors: Al-Basha Subs, Dunkin' Donuts, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Freshii, Delite Café, Jimmy Johns, LaPita Fresh, Panda Express, Starbucks (Ghafari & Student Center), Subway, Taco Bell, Wingstop. Food must be served immediately upon delivery to the room and a receipt from the purchase must be kept with the food at all times.
- The following items are NOT permitted in any Student Center meeting rooms.
- Food that requires refrigeration or warming to maintain proper health regulation temperature, unless provided by Wayne State Catering or the above approved locations.
- Heating units (e.g. crock pots, skillets & serving dishes with warmers), unless provided by Wayne State Dining Services or the above approved locations.
- Waivers to the Food Policies for food purchases under $200 can be requested at https://forms.wayne.edu/5cd0560d35c8e/.
Food valued at $200 or more must be provided by WSU Catering Services.
- Waivers to the Food Policies for food purchases over $200 can be requested through Wayne State Catering by submitting the online form at https://forms.wayne.edu/5c40a9c0b7534/.
- If an event receives an approved catering waiver a secondary approval must be issued by the campus food safety officer by one of the following three ways.
- Automatic food safety officer approval is granted for food purchased from the following local campus vendors including Al-Basha Subs, Delite Café, Jimmy Johns and LaPita Fresh.
- A review of the new caterer must be conducted and approved by the campus food safety officer.
- A temporary food license must be issued by the campus food safety officer.
- For questions regarding food waivers please contact WSU Catering at 313-577-2400.
- Food must be served immediately upon delivery to the room and a receipt from the purchase must be kept with the food at all times.
WSU and its employees and agents are released and indemnified from any and all liability for claims or damage including injury or illness associated with the consumption of food or beverage provided for any meeting or event by the student organization, department or outside organization.
If you have questions regarding the above Food Policies please contact Student Center Administration at 313-577-4585 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The group must comply with all health regulations established by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (O.E.H.S.)
- Food sale and service locations must comply with standards set by O.E.H.S.
- To book a bake sale please visit Student Center Administration in Suite 011 of the Student Center.
Outdoor BBQ Guidelines
- As of June 2019 all BBQs must be provided by WSU Catering.
- Due to the Keast Commons construction BBQs are allowed in Gullen Mall.